World Health Organization (WHO) has recorded an estimate of 200,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19. Almost 8000 of those are confirmed deaths all over the world. Such statistics are scary to know that is why people wearing face masks are seen all over the place. You can see them in the malls, on the streets, and even in the markets. The reason for this is to prevent and protect themselves from the deadly contagion of coronavirus outbreak. However, people are seen wearing masks inappropriately. This raises the question, how should we exactly wear our medical face mask?
What are the different types of face masks?
A surgical face mask is used to protect us from any form of infection from any viruses such as the deadly coronavirus. But, what are the different types of face masks? Here are a few most commonly used face masks:
- surgical face mask - This is the most commonly used, and sometimes misused, by people. This is the common white-blue combination face mask. It is worn with ear loops on both ends and is worn on the face with little loose ends on the edges of the sides of the mouth. Surgical face masks are disposable.
- N95 respirators - This mask is commonly used by medical experts which involve the doctors, nurses, scientists and other front-liners in the medical field. This is worn with a perfect fit on the face. N95 respirators are made to prevent almost 95% of the smallest particles on air.
- Half facepiece respirators - This mask is a type of respirator which has an air purifier. It is worn with a perfect snug on each side of the face. Half facepiece respirators are reusable and it gives you the protection which your health needs.
How to wear the medical face mask?
Here are a few steps to guide you in properly wearing the surgical face mask:
Step 1: Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
Step 2: Dry your hands using a clean towel.
Step 3: Sanitize your hands or use 70% alcohol solution
Step 4: Take the surgical mask using the ear loops. Adjust them in your ears until you achieve comfort.
Step 5: Look for the stiff edge. This is designed to mold your nose. Adjust and pinch it to fit your nose.
What color should be on the outside?
Many people are seen wearing face masks with the colored one (blue or green) on the outside. However, when do you put the colored face on the outside? Is it always the white one on the inside? Let us discuss further.
- The outer layer (colored one) - The outer layer which is the colored one (usually blue, sometimes green) is hydrophobic. This means that this side of the face mask is fluid repellent.
- Middle layer - Serves as a barrier to the germs. With this layer, all viruses and germs are filtered out from entering to the last layer.
- Inner later (white one) - this part of the face mask functions as moisture absorbent.
Wear the face mask with the blue side out if:
If you are not sick when wearing the mask, you put the colored (blue) side out. This way, all fluids are barred from entering your system. If you are surrounded by sick people who often cough and sneeze, their droplets are prevented and filtered from entering your system because of the fluid repellent ability of the first layer (blue side).
Wear the face mask with the white side out if:
If you are sick when wearing the mask, you put the white side out. Why? By having the blue or colored side touching your face, you are preventing the droplets from going out of your system. This also bars the droplets from spreading to the people near you.
Do not panic if you can’t find any face mask
People are panic buying all the surgical face masks available near them. Note that wearing the face mask is not a 100% guarantee that it will spare you from the deadly coronavirus. Experts still suggest that hygiene is still the best preventive measure you can do to avoid the contagion. Here are a few simple things you can do if you can't find any face mask:
- Always wash and/or sanitize your hands
- Avoid touching your mouth, nose, and face
- Sanitize your house and office
- Thoroughly cook your food
- Avoid close encounter with people who show covid-19 symptoms
iPlemo Disposable Face Mask
If you are looking for an affordable, effective, high-quality face mask, iPlemo is your anti-covid-19 partner. It is manufactured with standard 3-layer protection and it is ideal for sensitive skin.
With iPlemo disposable face mask, you are assured of a great and quality-standard approved product. iPlemo does not only offer protection from the deadly coronavirus and other viruses, but it also offers you great comfort and convenience all at an affordable price!