Wearing a surgical face mask, nowadays, has become imperative. With the outbreak of coronavirus, a surgical face mask has become a staple need of many people all over the world. However, with the massive outbreak of coronavirus comes the outrageous shortage of face masks. That is why many people have resorted to coming up with their style of face masks. In this article, we will be discussing the steps in creating your Do-It-Yourself (DIY) face masks to have something to protect yourself from the deadly contagion.
Why do we need to wear a face mask?
Wearing a face mask has become a necessity for most people nowadays. Here are a few of the benefits we can get from wearing a face mask:
- Prevents spreading the virus. If you are sick and are showing the signs and symptoms of coronavirus such as cough, fever, constant sneezing, wearing a face mask helps you in spreading your droplets which may be contagious to others near you. Surveys revealed that wearing a face has more than double reduction in the virus one could inhale.
- Avoids inhaling polluted air. A face mask filters out the dirty air in your surroundings. Wearing a face mask filters out dirty and polluted air which allows you to inhale clean air in your body.
What are the limits of surgical face masks?
Contrary to what most people believe, wearing a face mask will not save you from being infected with the coronavirus. Here are a few of the limitations of wearing a surgical face mask:
- It only filters 95% of tiny particles. This means that there is still a remaining 5% chance of catching the virus. That small percentage still greatly affects your overall status.
- Your physical limitations. You have to consider your own medical and physical limitations. Wearing your face mask will not save you from coronavirus or any virus, for that matter, if you already have an underlying medical condition.
- The manner of wearing and disposing of the face mask. The proper wearing of a face mask also matters. Wearing it inappropriately would defy the purpose of wearing it. The same thing is true if there is an improper way of disposing of the face mask.
How to make your surgical face mask?
Due to the worldwide scarcity of surgical face masks, many people are being creative and have turned to make their face mask to protect themselves from the deadly coronavirus contagion.
Even though you live in a place where face masks are still made available, you may want to consider having your do-it-yourself face mask. It is very easy, simple, and would save you a lot of money!
What do you need for a DYI face mask?
In making your surgical face mask, you only need a few things which are very much handy somewhere in your household. Here are all you need:
- For disposable face mask:
- Clean paper towels
- Rubber bands, strings, or shoelaces
- Glue and/or stapler
- For reusable face mask:
- T-shirt of handkerchief
- Rubber bands, strings, or shoelaces
- Glue and/or stapler
Steps in creating your surgical face mask
There are very easy and basic steps in making your surgical mask. These steps are:
Step 1: Take your paper towels or your t-shirt. Cut them into2-4 square patches and layer them together; one top over the other. Note that the size of your patches should be enough for the size of your mouth;
Step 2: Create some folds on your fabric until you reach a point of creating a thin rectangle. The folds are created to achieve a perfect snug that would fit on your face.
Step 3: Attach your string or rubber band. In doing this, you can make use of your stapler or the glue in putting it together. Make sure to double-check that the elastic bands are not too tight nor too loose when you wear them.
Step 4: Unfold your mask gently until it fits your chin and your mouth. If you wish to do some adjustments, you can always do it until you reach your comfort.
Tips for your DIY surgical face mask:
Now that you already have your DIY surgical face mask, there are a few things that you need to know in making the most of it. These are:
- Make sure that your mask fits right. Make sure that your face mask is not too loose. A tight fit assures that your mask is just right. A perfect fit is key to ensure no entry of any form of the virus.
- Make sure to dispose of and/or wash regularly. If you are making use of the disposal surgical face mask, make sure to dispose of it after using it and once it is damped. On the other hand, if you are using the reusable face mask, make sure to wash it properly with soap and water. It would also be ideal if you soak the mask in hot water before drying it to ensure that it is sanitized.
- Wear it when needed. You should know when you need to wear your surgical face mask. There is a need for you to wear your surgical face mask if you are sick and if you are showing covid 19 symptoms such as constant sneezing, coughing, and high fever.
Where to Buy Surgical Face Mask
There is a shortage of surgical face mask all over the world. The sudden viral outbreak of coronavirus of COVID 19 makes it very difficult for most people to buy surgical masks nowadays.
Wherever you go, stores no longer have stocks of face masks. Most of their shelves are empty. Even the largest pharmaceuticals are no longer offering to sell surgical face masks.
Most people would ask where to buy a surgical face mask? Are there any stores that have stocks of face masks?
iPlemo: Your Quality Surgical Mask Provider
If you are one of those who are having trouble procuring your surgical face masks, iPlemo offers very affordably and high-quality surgical face masks. Their face mask features the following:
- Protected with 3-layers protection. This 3-layer protection ensures the proper and strict filter of any small particle which can be taken from someone’s droplets from sneezing and coughing.
- Good for sensitive skin. If you are a wearer with sensitive skin, iPlemo is ideal for you. Their product is not made of fiberglass products which cause itchiness on sensitive skins.
- Affordable and hassle-free purchase. iPlemo surgical face mask is offered at a very affordable price. The company has great quality and massive stocks available worldwide.
With iPlemo, you are ensured that the quality of air that you are breathing is free from any sort of polluted particles.
Now that you know how to make your surgical face mask, share it with your friends and loved ones. By sharing it with them, not only are you helping in the prevention of the spread of the contagion, but you are also contributing to the kindness which we all need right now. Remember that wearing a surgical face mask is done not just by protecting yourself, but others as well. Whether it is a D.I.Y. or bought, remember that protection and prevention are better than cure.